Eighteen years ago today we lost one of hip hop’s most legendary artists, Christopher Wallace; better known as the Notorious BIG. Several rappers including Diddy, Black Thought and Snoop Dogg took to social media today to remember the Brooklyn native for his contributions to the hip hop culture.
— Diddy (@iamdiddy) March 9, 2015
Check out a few random facts below that you may have not known about the late, great rapper.
- The name “Biggie Smalls” was inspired by Calvin Lockhart’s character in Let’s Do It Again; later changed due to copyright infringement.
- He attended George Westinghouse Career and Technical Education High School in downtown Brooklyn with rappers Busta Rhymes and Jay-Z.
- Shaquile O’Neal and Michael Jackson were some of the few to ever collaborate with the notorious rapper.
- He married his label-mate and legendary R&B singer Faith Evans, only knowing her for a very short period of time.
- Biggie suffered a shattered left leg in a car accident that forced him to use a cane for the rest of his life.
Join us on twitter @BoomPhilly and let us know some of your favorite Biggie songs that still resonate with you today.
By: Jade Thompson| RadioOne Philly